Wednesday, June 6, 2012

(971) The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

A friend passed me this book, saying that her English Lit lecturer once said it was good. I read the first few short chapters, would have given up and return the book had it not been said to be good.

Somehow, by going on reading, I found the next developments interesting. Finally, I finished the book. Perhaps I am rather dense, there are many questions I have that I can't answer. For example, names like Ylla and Dr. Nlla, are they so peculiar to indicate that they are Martians?

Like a thread that appeared and reappeared in different junctures in the book, is a theme of sadness and helplessness. The concept that Martians could read our memories, subsequently mold themselves and their environment to fit into our past is new to me.The author called it telepathy. To me, being able to read memories may be termed as a branch of telepathy. But to be able refashion flesh and blood and objects is more than telepathy. Yet one can expect the reality in another world to be totally different from earth.

Perhaps if I were to find a movie version of this book, it will help to have someone interpret the story for me in video form.

No comments:

Post a Comment