Friday, June 1, 2012

(965) Nocturnes by Kazuo Ishiguro

All five stories in this volume are about music and nightfall. If I were to quote my daughter Elizabeth, they are all not very satisfactory as all five do not have firm endings. I guess I spent a fair amount of time imagining my choice of ending. In three of them I am reasonably happy with my endings. But what I can't escape from is a sense of sadness that all the stories left me with.

It is public knowledge that it takes more than talent to succeed in the musical field. I suppose the odds of not making it does not deter many young musicians from struggling to make it. I agree completely with a father who insisted that his daughter complete her first degree before choosing a career. He set aside a million dollars for her second degree in medicine, should she not qualify; he would not stand in her way if she still wants to set up a guitar shop. But would she really want to set up and run a small guitar shop in a neighborhood mall versus becoming a dentist?

No comments:

Post a Comment