Thursday, September 8, 2011

(525) At the Altar by L.M. Montgomery

I just came back from my neighbour's house. While one sister is planning a spring wedding with her American boy friend, the other sister's relationship came to a stand still. Reason: boy friend's mom.

The situation reminded me of "The Wooing of Bessy" in At the Altar. In the story, the mother of  Lawrence Eastman contrived to cause a quarrel between her son and his girl friend. She not only lied but put the blame on another person.

My neighbour was doing well with the boy friend's mom until one daughter came for a visit from New Zealand. For all we know, the visitor was the mischief maker. It seemed to me that if the prospective mom-in-law trusted her enough to seek her help in remitting funds from Thailand, it was most surprising that once the daughter returned to New Zealand, she was no longer welcome in the old lady's house.

In the story, true love triumphed as Lawrence went and checked to see if his mom told the truth. In real life, if a forty-five-year-old man is still tied to his mom's apron strings, I don't think my neighbour should cry over losing him!

No comments:

Post a Comment