Friday, February 22, 2013

(213) Three days two nights in Sandakan

My husband paid a nominal amount during a charity fund raiser and obtained a coupon for two nights' stay in a fairly new hotel in Sandakan.

I was disappointed as I was hoping for somewhere in London, Melbourne, Chiangmai, or Hong Kong. After offering to let one of my children to travel with daddy, each one refused to go. Reasons are varied: no friends there, nothing much to see or do there, it is a gruffy old town ... In the end when we found economical air tickets by Air Asia, I decided to come myself.

The only place I have been to in Borneo is Sibu, Sarawak before coming to Sandakan. To be brutally frank, I was not impressed at all with Sibu. But my missionary friends are right, Sandakan is much more attractive than Sibu. I like the coastal scenery. For being the second largest city in Sabah, it has a laid back charm like Ipoh.

My husband and I enjoyed the only Korean eatery: Seoul Palace(I think). He had beef and I ordered an omelet. We went to have western lunch near the Alice Keith house. Scones were on promotion. The beef stew offered was delicious! The best place we ate in was the Sea King: we had a steam red snapper Cantonese style (Sandakan is also called Little Hong Kong), beef cooked with black beans (highly recommended), fried kalamari ring(squid) and a simple garlic fried vegetable.

Neither my husband nor I are big on wild life, we spent virtually all our meals chatting with our friends. It actually turned out to be a trip to renew friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment